For the past few years, I have tried to write down goals for the year – some personal, some professional, even goals for travel. And generally, I get to most of them, but I don’t really check in on those goals that I’ve written down on a regular basis. This year, I’m trying something new. I keep reading and hearing about people who, instead of making resolutions, come up with a word that will help guide them through the year. When I heard this, I really liked the idea of it. But, what one word could encompass all the things I was feeling?
After a few weeks, I’ve finally come up with my word for 2019 ….. Embrace.
What does that mean?
- To me, it means that in the upcoming year, I am going to embrace the things that come my way – good or bad. Even if it’s something bad, I can embrace the lesson that comes along with it.
- I also want to embrace experiences, whether that’s dinner out with my girlfriends or watching my kids play their sports.
- I want to embrace relationships – old ones and new ones and celebrate what makes each of those people unique and special to me.
- I need to embrace self-care and not feel guilty about it.
- It’s also about embracing emotions, good or bad. Sometimes, I have a bad or emotional day and I must remind myself that it’s ok and to allow myself to feel those emotions when they come.
- It also means trying to let go of controlling every situation and letting things happen and accepting them. This one will probably be the most challenging one for me, but I’ll try.
- And accepting my life as it is today by being grateful instead of focusing on what I don’t have.
I’m a Type A, structured, planner so just sitting back and embracing things isn’t going to be easy for me. I like to be in control of situations and my emotions, so this will definitely be stepping out of my comfort zone, but that’s what growing is all about, right?